About the Green Party...

mcr at simtone.net mcr at simtone.net
Fri Oct 3 14:58:10 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Corey" == Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> writes:
    Corey> please see coreyburger.ca

  Congrats on running for council.
  I am a volunteer with Friends of the O-train in Ottawa.  We use
inkscape, openoffice, and gimp (and majordomo2) for most of our light rail
promotion activities.

  As for the green party's policy, there are some problems with it:
     a) few in the green party actually know what it means.
     b) the policy should say, "open standards", not "open source".
	Why? Because "open source" is just one business model, and it
	is not the role of the federal government to decide which
	business models are the best.
	Rather, it is the role of the federal government to define
	what the standards are that we will communicate with.
	(Note: open standards generally enable open source, and vv)

     c) there are no champions on the green party of canada actually
	pushing open standards (not even use of ISO ODF, in the form
	of openoffice).

  So, while I'm a card-carrying GPO and GPC member, please realize that
they need a lot of help in the software and "ICT" area to enable them to
"walk the walk"

--
Michael Richardson <mcr at simtone.net>
Director -- Consumer Desktop Development, Simtone Corporation, Ottawa, Canada

SIMtone Corporation fundamentally transforms computing into simple,
secure, and very low-cost network-provisioned services pervasively
accessible by everyone.  Learn more at www.simtone.net and www.SIMtoneVDU.com