Ubuntu Intrepid

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:55:32 UTC 2008

I upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid over the weekend and I'm going
back to Hardy. For one thing, the nVidia drivers in Intrepid are not
stable. I keep loosing my title bars and video playback is choppy.

There are some minor cosmetic changes to the menu which aren't
that appealing.

My Hardy system was very stable except for Firefox which would
crash and disappear without warning from time to time. I also had
problems with Synaptic which solved themselves over time.

Perhaps the problems that I'm having with Intrepid will eventually
go away, but since Hardy is a long term support release I think
I can wait a few more months before trying this again.

Does anyone know if there's a way to backup customisations that
I've made to various parts of my system or will I have to manually
re-do them? For example, I've added applications to the panel along
the top of my GNOME screen and customised the way they
launch.

My system is a Dell Latitude D620.

I'd be curious to hear about other's upgrade experience.

Cheers!

Andrew.