Upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04?

Timothy Webster tdwebste2 at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 07:01:12 UTC 2008

I disagree, there is no need to wipe  and reinstall to upgrade to ubuntu 8.04.
It does take a little skill and please install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges before you try to upgrade. Read the bugs reported by apt-listbugs, you may not want to install a broken package. And don't try to do a one shot upgrade, those usually fail.

Look at the upgrade list and upgrade a few at a time. With extra care to things which include major changes, so read those change list too. Also keep an eye on what extra stuff it is trying to install or remove. This is much easier to do if you only upgrade a few packages at a time.

Divide the upgrade into little upgrades like it was met to be and you will have no problems. Yes it will take a little longer, but does it really mater that it took a dozen little upgrades and worked.

If you apply debian dpkgs to ubuntu or ubuntu dpkgs to debian, you will need to watch dependences and conflicts. Only do this if you are brave, have lots of time to debug things. It is actually easier in many cases to pull the source dpkg and auto build the dpkg and install it. If you want to mix distros.