Upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04?

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:06:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Alfred <alfred.s at nexicom.net> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've never done this before, that is upgrade Ubuntu over top of the
> previous version. I bought the 6 DVD set, from www.thelinuxstore.ca due
> to not having high speed. I Put the install disk in the drive to see
> what was on it, if there were some docs to read, on how to do this.
>
> A Dialogue Box came up and said  "Would you like to upgrade, and have
> all the Email etc transferred to the new version". After upgrading with
> all 190 upgrades for Ubuntu 7.10 on Dial up, I figured lets give the 8.04 Upgrade
> a try. Well it said it was testing the Repositories, and then it
> crashed. Trouble is when it tried this again, it had read the index
> files on the first DVD, and I used Synaptic to load the data and DVD
> names to use the DVD's as Repositories. When I tried to do the update
> the Auto upgrade could not be found, and now there were 577 Updates in
> Update, but very few of them were checked, and an error message said
> that this could happen if the previous attempt was incomplete. Is there
> some way to restore Updater to no updates, in other words get rid of
> the 577 updates listed in it, so that I might be able to try this
> again, that is do the upgrade of 7.10 to 8.04, over top of 7.10? Is
> there some flaw in this Upgrade Software? Why does it crash?
>
> Alfred!

I always find it is easiest to wipe Ubuntu instead of upgrade.

I put my /home folder on a separate parition and then wipe / (root)
every time. Since my e-mails and preferences are saved in /home, the
wipe will work flawlessly and my preferences are backed up.

Is this a possibility for you?

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton at gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!