SSL.

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sun May 18 10:57:06 UTC 2008

Hi Brian ET AL:

I used to do Updates, but then I began to notice that Debian Updates
Broke Ubuntu Code. There would be all kinds of little problems cropping
up, with other applications not working after an update was installed
for something else. My policy was to try to find out which updates
caused problems and then, I'd not install them. Lately I'm about 188
updates behind in 7.10, because it has become difficult to find out
exactly which ones cause problems, and there does not seem to be a work
around for ones that do. On previous Versions of Ubuntu, such problems
never got fixed. So my Open Office, got broken then, where entering 3
characters would make it freeze. So I lost the ability to use it, until
the next version appeared, even though the update was for something
else. Many of the Complaints people have to this forum are caused by
upgrades causing problems like this.

I guess I'll make a complete Backup, and then try to install all the
updates, which could take several months to download, what with the
Incredible High Speed Downloads I have sometimes reaching speeds of 33K,
for a few seconds at a time. Even with a 56K modem. :) I've tried some
of the Download Accelerators, but they don't work as good as the ones I
used to use in much earlier versions of Windows.

My ISP is making use of 19X Dial-up but this does not work in Linux. I
E-mailed the Company providing it, and they say tough luck! I'm
downloading in the background the updates, except when I need to use the
modem, without this happening.

Which update fixes this problem with the SSL, so that I still have some
Armour Clad Protection, while I wait for the modem to Bleepedy Bleep
download all the rest of the updates. I live in an area where High Speed
Internet has yet to be invented! :)

Alfred!