Big disk in old bios

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat May 17 06:13:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Russell McOrmond wrote:

>   I'm curious why Ubuntu doesn't do this?  I'm having to go back and
> try installing again at another date (after spending far too long this
> afternoon), and I'm going to be doing a manual partitioning where I'll
> set up /boot properly.   I guess I expected Ubuntu to just handle this,
> as this is the type of partitioning issue which average desktop users
> might run into fairly often.

Hi Russell.  I think this is a problem that people used to run in to often
but don't anymore.  I always manually partition and many years ago I
typically did a small /boot to avoid the "1024 cyl" issue and other
fun[1].

Today, if a machine is so old that I see a problems like this then it has
probably developed age related complaints or has arbitrary limits (like
the one you mention) that are going to soak up time as an astounding rate.
Debugging age-related h/w problems simply isn't worth it - it is cheaper
to acquire new and reliable h/w.  You're already set for your 2nd visit,
right? :)

Before anyone thinks I don't care about hardware waste - I care a lot.
I'm hugely into virtualisation and thin client technologies partly as a
way of reducing h/w waste (there are lots of other advantages too).

A second point I want to make is that desktop Ubuntu is not known for
considering older h/w.  I have built a few Ubuntu systems with <256MB ram
in recent years and I've had to use the server or alternate cdroms :)

[1] I still typically build a small root filesystem but for unrelated
reasons.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"