Desktop program links opening as text?

NurseGirl thealp+ubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 20:20:06 UTC 2008

This definitely sounds like a configuration error. 7.10 and 8.04 use
some different configuration conventions. If you're rolling back 8.04
configuration files (i.e., those hidden files in your home directory)
into 7.10, I'm sure that's caused the problem.

Daniel's solution of creating a new user and moving over data files
but not configuration files is the safest one. Make sure you don't
erase the old users until everything's working, though!

If you do want to poke around and see if you can figure it out, you
probably want to check out ~/.local/share/mime but I'd definitely back
up everything before you start playing around in there.

Hope this helps!
Nursegirl