Better way to install/upgrade?

geo yaktur at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 13:40:50 UTC 2008

I did that once before when I had 7.04 installed and upgraded to 7.10 - and it became totally corrupted, the machine struggled to even boot up, some data became lost - and the machine is not exactly a slug (Dell Optiplex GX260 with Pentum 4 at 2.5 GHz, 2 Gig RAM).

Jim Hutchinson over at the answers.launchpad help site told me that it's better usually to just wipe the drive and start fresh and after that nasty experience I don't want to risk data loss again.

You say just letting the upgrade/updater would not be a problem? I'd like to try it but after that experience, I'm very hesitant.

Next question? Ok? In the partitioning scheme I suggested (one for the OS, one for the user data) if I were to replace the OS for an upgrade, would any user data (such as passwords, cookies, logins, desktop customization, music play lists, e-mails, bookmark files) be at risk? In other words, where does the user data like this get stored? In the OS? Or in the individual user accounts?

My current plan was just to connect another hard drive, login to each account on the Dell, copy the whole user directory over to the hard drive - repeat as often as necessary for each account.

Or is there a better way to backup all user data and keep all things intact, including permissions, etc...then restore?

Thanks,
geo