Better way to install/upgrade?

geo yaktur at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 13:16:55 UTC 2008

I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 and I received 8.04 on CD in the mail recently. I'l like to upgrade but that usually means wiping the whole drive (EEK!!).

I have 50 gig of family stuff that would be lost forever (unless I can borrow my sister-in-law's USB drive???). The drive is 100 gig.

Currently the drive is set up as 1 big partition with a small slice set aside as a swap.

Would it make sense to set up 2 unequal partitions as well as a swap for a total of 3 partitions?

1 partition would contain only the operating system (maybe 10 gig?)
1 partition (the larger one) would contain the user home directories (maybe 85 gig?)
1 partition would be the swap partition (2 gig because my machine has 2 gig of RAM).

Does this make sense? Would it work? Is it do-able? Let me know please, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and perhaps I'll have time to do some major housekeeping on the Dell.

Thanks
geo