New install of Hardy not updating packages!?!

Paolo Di Battista paolodibattista at rogers.com
Thu Jun 19 04:37:56 UTC 2008

Hi all. I recently cleaned off the system hard drive in my RAID 5 NAS and
installed Hardy i386.  Since the new install it keeps telling me there are
updates (the number is currently at 138). When I click on the notification
icon Update Manager opens, but when I then click on update the mouse pointer
changes to the "I'm thinking" circle but never changes from there.  I don't
get a password prompt or any change, it just keeps going until I force
Ubuntu to shut down the Update Manager application.

Furthermore, there are some applications that just don't seem to start, for
example System-Administration-Login Window.  When I select it, two buttons
appear on the bottom of the screen: one is "Starting Administrative
Application" and the other is "Login Window", but after a few moments they
disappear and Login Window never opens.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Paolo