8.04 GUI doesn't load due to glitch in Smart Update

Steven Birnam stevenbirnam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:31:14 UTC 2008

After doing an upgrade to 8.04, I got everything working properly.

Then reconfigured and updated other package - which provided me with
my first headache - a conflict wouldn't let me boot properly, but used
recovery mode to sort it out.

Then I noticed I had multiple sub-versions of Ubuntu on the boot menu
- and went to the forum to find out how to reduce the list to one
subversion (I also have XP as a boot option). The response was to go
to Synaptic Manager and remove the unwanted subversion packages -
which I did, with no result. Turned out that precision is required
when providing guidane - it should have been 'remove completely'
rather than just remove - but learned my lesson, and subsequently
cleaned up my boot list.

This morning, I decided to do an update on the packages (when you wake
up at 5:00AM, what else is there to do, if you have no cows to milk?).
Ran Synaptic and did a 'Smart Upgrade', which was not such a smart
choice. Now I cannot load the GUI interface, as Ubuntu loads to
character mode, and I get a message that x moduile install is broken.

So much for 'Smart Updates'.

Anybody else run into these issues?

Any idea of next step to fix GUI?

Steven Birnam

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
This communication is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee(s).
If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the
message without reading, printing,
copying or disclosing it.
La présente communication est confidentielle et strictement réservée
au(x) destinataire(s). Tous visionnements, utilisations, divulgations
ou distributions
non autorisés sont interdits. Dans l'éventualité où ce message vous a
été envoyé par erreur, s'il-vous-plait notifier l'émetteur par réponse
à ce courriel et veuillez détruire ce message sans le lire,
l'imprimer, le copier ou en divulguer le contenu.