ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 39, Issue 2

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:53:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Steven Birnam <stevenbirnam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I now have 2 RT boot options for Ubuntu, plus I have 2 subversions of
> Ubuntu 8.04 to choose from - what's up - why the additional subversion?
> How can I remove them from my boot options?
> Will this cause boot problem, or stability issues?

If you have the hardy-updates repository enabled, you will get updated
versions of kernel released by the Ubuntu developpers.  Hardy
originally came with the kernel version 2.6.24-16; but I have seen
installed on my computer since April versions 2.6.24-17 and 2.6.24-18,
which brings a bunch of menu entries for grub at boot time.

By default Grub should use the latest one by default (so in my case
2.6.24-18).  These extra old versions are harmless, and actually not
in use since your computer will only use the kernel you selected at
boot time.  They only waste a little bit of disk space (probably
something like 100mb per version)

To remove them, you can go in synaptic, and check for older version of
linux-images that are installed ad mark them for deletion.  If you
de-install then, your boot menu will be smaller next time around.  If
you do that, be careful not to remove the latest kernel version since
you need at least one kernel to be able to run Ubuntu :)

To see which version of the kernel you are currently using, from the
command line do this command: "uname -a"

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille
 http://friendfeed.com/robitaille