running the latest Firefox 3 release from Mozilla on 7.10?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 01:52:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
> n Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Rick Berger <rberger at rogers.com> wrote:
>> I just switched back to 7.10 from 8.04 because of sound locking up to
>> one application at a time, evolution eventually going into never never
>> land all the time, and not being able to run the latest Miro because lib
>> conflicts. Though I am still impressed with 8.04 and hope to go back to
>> it someday.
>>
>> I would like to know if anybody is running the latest Firefox 3 release
>> from Mozilla on 7.10 and if there are any issues with it? I liked it on
>> 8.04 except for the sound locking up.
>
> The major challenge with running an newer FF release is that FF is
> more than just a browser, it is also a rendering engine used by a
> bunch of other stuff, including the help system, etc.

the way I do it, and have done so for many Ubuntu releases, is to
install the tarball I get from mozilla.com in /opt.  Then in
/usr/local/bin, I put a symlink pointing to the new firefox binary,
naming it "firefox".

That way the original Ubuntu's Firefox is still installed, and
whatever in the OS that needs it will not break, but if I type
"firefox" on the command line, or click on the firefox icon in my
gnome panel, I get my own firefox running. (since /usr/local/bin
should be relatively early in a default user's PATH).

Daniel

--
Daniel Robitaille
 http://friendfeed.com/robitaille