Installing on Mac G4

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Sun Jan 27 23:40:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 09:23 -0800, DAVID CLARK wrote:
> I am new to ubuntu linux and I heard you can install the Linux os on a
> Mac infrastructure.

Hey Dave. Yes, that's correct.

> In fact it says so on the main ubuntu website under the heading
> 'system requirements'. The problem is it doesn't say which mac it
> works on.

Intel based macs just take the 32-bit intel version of Ubuntu. Older
PowerPC based macs take the ppc version. Both versions come in either
the desktop installer or the alternative installer flavours. Desktop has
a graphical installer and alternative is text based with greater
compatibility on older hardware during the install.

I recommend you download whichever of the four images I mentioned
through bittorent so that you can ensure that it wasn't corrupted.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/gutsy/release/

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred