A busy board today /thanks Corey

Patrick optomatic at rogers.com
Wed Jan 23 18:58:55 UTC 2008

Thanks Corey

I guess my biggest problem right now is is a place to discuss commercial
based topics.

I hate big faceless corporations(I am just about to sue one over
antitrust issues :-) ) but at the end of the day I need to put bread on
the table. I need somewhere appropriate to talk about money and business
related topics.

There are lots of opportunities for open source developers in the lab
environment but I don't know how to reach out to the open source community.

The Gos machine I (unfortunately) mentioned earlier was just a small
aspect to what I want to do. Apart from my instrument control App I also
want to set up an Ubuntu desktop fully loaded with every possible open
source tool that a scientist could ever want. I was planning on selling
these Gos machines at or near cost and then charging money for support,
primarily for the scientific software. I suspect I could move hundreds
of these boxes. This could also be a source of revenue for the greater
Ubuntu community as I cannot possibly provide this support alone.

I am also talking with another developer who wants to do the same thing
with the automation market where National-instruments has a ruthless grip.

(OT but, NI are pricks too, they wanted too pay $300 for the honor of
talking with one of their techs recently when I called into ask for help
with the $600 interface board I just purchased.)

I am not sure how most of you are using Ubuntu but I have my whole
operation structured around it. It works great but it can be spread so
much further-Patrick