too much bloat

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 02:51:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 8:53 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008 8:45 PM, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you don't want Ubuntu, my personal advice is Debian since I know
> > JFS works in it.   But which distro to use is a very personal
> > decision, depending on what you do with it, which apps you run, how
> > experienced you are, and finally what the people you ask for help
> > around you use.  In my case, the end result is either Ubuntu or
> > Debian.
> >
> Desktop-wise, testing or unstable?

I personally use Ubuntu for desktop at home (it looks nicer), and
Debian Stable for servers at work; partly because I like its stability
and conservative approach to upgrades in a server/production
environment, and partly because I work with people who also run Debian
on their servers so it was easier that way.

The problem with Debian unstable for desktop is that it is unstable;
you will get a fair share of updates in a week, and you may never know
when it will break on you. Exact same thing if you use Ubuntu Hardy.

And I'm not sure what is the policy of security updates in Debian
nowadays for testing/unstable; that may be an issue for some..

Anyway we are quickly becoming OT since this list is not a good forum
to discuss the merits of the various versions of Debian.  I'm sure one
of the lists hosted at debian.org is more appropriate for these
questions, and is full of knowledgeable users about Debian.

--
Daniel Robitaille