Very Strange

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Wed Feb 6 06:28:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 00:22 -0600, Jordan Rudderham wrote:
> Wow, that did work, thanks a bunch. I'm not sure I understand how that
> works though. On other machines, if I compiled it in that working-direc,
> I could then run the exe from that working-direc rather easily. What
> makes the way I did this on ubuntu different?

It should be like that on any system. When you type the name of a
program, if it isn't in your path (e.g. on Windows or UNIX system), the
system won't be able to find it. If it isn't in your path, but you know
the complete or relative path to it, then you prefix the program name
with that. Since the path to the current working directory is ./,
typing ./a.out resolves the ambiguity. Hope that helps.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred