shared folder (Doooh Head)

David Tremblay david at ngowiki.net
Tue Dec 16 16:24:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Andy Leeman <andy at leeman.ca> wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have managed to setup a Ubuntu Server version 8.10 (with Desktop
> installed so that I have a GUI).
> >
> > I have started to copy my media files to it but have run into a bit of a
> problem.  I have been able to share the folders that I want to share on the
> server, but how Do I connect to them from a client machine so that
> applications like K3B can see them?
> >
> > I can goto my network, locate the machine, see the shared directories in
> Nautilus, double-click on say a movie file and my local Movie player will
> open and start playing.  Great, but now I also want to open files, say in
> K3B so that I can burn them to a CD using its internal file dialog to locate
> files.  How do I create a "permanent" link to this shared folder on my
> server so that it is accessible via a local programs' file dialog?
> >

> > John
>
> You can enter the following commend at the terminal;
>
> sudo mount //192.168.1.100/server /media/folder -o
> username=*****,password=*****,dmask=777,fmask=777
>
> The //192.168.1.101/server part is the network address of your server
> with the IP and the name of the folder you have shared.
>
> The  /media/folder is the name of the folder where you want to mount
> the server on your computer. That is usually in /media. You need to
> create the directory first, so if you want to call is "movies" you
> would create the movies dir ectory in the media directory, then use
> /media/movies for the /media/folder part above.
>
> Username and password are the username and pass to log in to your
> server and the rest mounts it so it is read/write. If you don't want
> read/write rights, then you can change the 777 part to something else.
> If the files on the server are owned by someone other than the user,
> then you cannot delete them, even if they are mounted 777.
>
> What I do is, once I have it mounted like I want it, I then add the
> commend to the fstab file using the smbmunt program so it mounts at
> boot up. But I would try this first to get it fine tuned.

I think the problem is the support of gnome by k3b. try the following

a) mount first the remote share in nautilus
b) in k3b browse your local home with the hidden file shown
c) look inside the directory called ".gvs" and check if you can see and read
write in the remote share

hope it helps

--
David Tremblay