ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 45, Issue 7

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Wed Dec 10 05:47:18 UTC 2008

Hi:

Often I've noticed that in the Linux Community there are knowledgeable
people that figure that they are going to have a bit of FUN, with a
Newbie. I've just played around for 6 hours getting the 8.10
installation to get on the Internet with Dial-up.

Well, what can happen with this is DELL's INFO DESK gets so overloaded,
that they drop Ubuntu and go with Vista again. When all their Dial up
customers, have to spend 6-10 hours trying to get it to work! Very few
people are on High speed Internet in the World, lots of people are still
using Dial-up! You that did all this work in making Ubuntu 8.10 a
reality, may see your Growing user base, also have a Black Friday! Hey I
know a little bit about Confusers - I played with them, for about 40
years. Most Newbies have no idea at all. If it Don't work - They use
that DVD or CD as a Drink Coaster!

In Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit pppconfig comes installed on the DVD edition. So
there is not much need to try to find Gnome-ppp

wvdial.conf

should read:
[Dialer Defaults]
New PPPD = yes
Stupid Mode = yes                         Is this an actual Command?
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Auto DNS = 1
Auto Reconnect = 0
Modem = /dev/ttyS0                        /dev/ttyACM0  does not work at
ALL!
Baud = 230400                             not sure of this number
because when it dialed up it was very slow in Baud-rate!
Init1 = ATZ                               not ATZ4!
Phone = the IP Phone Number
Username = Login name for IP
Password = Login Password

This Connects Confuser to the Internet. This Internet Connection I'm
using to send you the E-mail is on another Hard Drive, not the 8.10
Ubuntu, but the 7.10 Ubuntu, so everything has to be written down, or
transferred to a Thumb Drive, then put on the 7.10 Hard drive. So I can
send you this Email. Lots of turning off the Power installing a Hard
Drive, over and over again for many hours to get it all working, not
very EASY at all! Just in this little part of the World I tried to get
people to try out Ubuntu, Windows was so troubling for them, and then we
run into this little bit of FUN! Yah some one was having a little bit of
fun with a Newbie, but as far as adopters in the Dial up Zone goes- Hey
you will quite likely LOOSE 150,000 or more people, just in this little
part of the World! Your expanding user base just got hit with Black
Friday!

Connecting to the Internet is very Important, and should be very easy,
and in everything up to 7.10 it was real easy! Why Mess with something
that worked very very well, hooking up with Dial-up had a very easy to
use interface. Now it's GONE!

The pppconfig utility asks for info that becomes available when wvdial
is run.  Yet even having the info after wvdial is run, that info is sort
of confusing. My IP acts like Linux never existed. I can't go to them
with the questions that pppconfig asks, the people in the Office don't
know these things themselves, only billing information, and HYPE!

What are you THINKING!

Alfred!