ubuntu 8.10 /dev/eth0 problem

Jose jtc at totaltravelmarketing.com
Fri Dec 5 13:43:05 UTC 2008

Hi List,

I got a new ubuntu 8.10 loaded on my machine, and the network does not
work, I have a couple of other partitions loaded with Centos and Suse,
and the nec work well on those, I even tried loading mythbuntu based on
8.10 and same problem.

I noticed during boot up and displays some messages after the part of
the name because of goes so fast.

I tried setting the interfaces file statically does not work because
eth0 it doesn't exists, ifup only shows more error messages saying the
device is not there, which is true, goggleing around I found there seem
to be something broken with it's network manager, I removed tried again,
same problem.

Does anybody has found a problem like this?

Thanks

Jose