Grief with GNOME

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 12:40:25 UTC 2008

Assuming that it's just your GNOME profile that's broken, try creating
a second user
on your system and log in as that user. If the second profile looks OK
then perhaps the
best thing might be to remove the GNOME configuration folders from
your own profile
and reconfigure your desktop.

Try the following:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-desktop-data
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-control-center
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-menus
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-system-tools
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-session

Andrew.