Grief with GNOME

Ralph Pichie thevillagegeek at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 19:52:00 UTC 2008

GNOME has gone completely haywire over the last few days. The random
rearrangement of top panel icons was irritating, but now it can't
render a wallpaper correctly at the left side of the screen, either
showing the wallpaper at a wrong resolution or showing a different
image entirely. Worse, it no longer displays any theme correctly,
Reinstalling themes does not seem to improve the situation.

Emerald theme manager and Compiz are both installed. This did not
cause any error before.

What I have tried: disabling compiz, reinstalling themes, tweaking
settings for the Titlebar in Emerald theme details, switching themes.

I have tried numerous things to fix the background display glitch,
without success. I even removed the custom panel at the left, but no
improvement.

OTOH, KDE works fine, so it's back to that for now.

Any suggestions? I'm ready to even remove GNOME and reinstall, though
I really don't want to do that.