Really slow response from Ubuntu LiveCD

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 15:35:26 UTC 2008

I know this is an Ubuntu group, but I'm going to go ahead and say it.
If you only have 128 MB of RAM, you should probably consider an
alternate distribution. Xubuntu is your best bet if you're looking for
a GUI, however, if you're not interested in a GUI, you should try
getting rid of X altogether. If you plan on using this machine as an
office desktop, for word processing, spreadsheets, etc.. then you will
find life a little tough because X and GNOME (or KDE for that matter)
are quite hard on system resources.

That's why I suggested trying Xubuntu with Xfce.

I have a 128 MB, 80 GB Dell Optiplex GX 110, PIII (500 MHz). I
originally had Slackware on this machine and it was doing really well
but since my main desktop/laptop is running Hardy (8.04) I moved that
desktop to Xubuntu. Even though Xfce is light on resources, the
Slackware distribution was definitely smoother and faster.

That machine is now running gentoo 2008. It took four full days to
install but it flies. Literally flies. I even have X and Blackbox
installed.

The Live CD will be slower than a hard disk installation so you really
shouldn't gauge your experience on the Live CD, however the Live CD
will indicate what will work and what wont. I'd expect that if you do
a hard disk install it will be faster than your experience with the
Live CD. How much faster nobody can really tell.

Andrew.