Really slow response from Ubuntu LiveCD

Robert Hodgins ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Tue Aug 19 15:17:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 10:50 -0400, andy at boersma.ca wrote:
> Remember that the old PCs has very slow CD drives.
> So after installing on the PC it will be faster then the CD

This really should be a reply to one of the earlier posts, but I deleted
it. Sorry.

I downloaded the xubuntu 8.04 alternate CD and installed it on an old
Gateway Solo 5300 (128 Mb RAM, 700 MHz cpu and 9.59 Gb drive). The
installation was straight forward with no problems.

It took 2 minutes from boot up to the login screen and 45 seconds more
to get to the desktop after logging in. Probably won't want to do that
too often. ;)

Opening Abiword took about 40 seconds.

So, yes you can use xubuntu in 128 Mb.

HTH