Fresh Hardy install, wireless PC card not found, "Hardware Info" menu item missing

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Apr 27 21:43:05 UTC 2008

Hi all:  Did a clean install of Hardy on an IBM Thinkpad 770X (circa
1999: Pentium II 300 MHz, 320 MByte RAM, 8 GByte HD).

The DLink DWL-610 PCMIA wireless network card isn't discovered, so no
network is available (it was fine under Gutsy).

The Help file says to go to "System > Preferences > Hardware
Information", but that menu entry doesn't exist!  I've been to "System
> Preferences > Main Menu" to see if it was just unchecked, but it's
not there either!

I ran "System > Administration > Hardware Testing" and it sees the
hardware as a "DLink DWL-510 2.4 GHz Wireless Adapter".

I followed the Help File instructions and typed "sudo lshw -C network",
which lists:

  *-network UNCLAIMED
      product: DWL-510 2.4 GHz Wireless Adapter
      vendor: D-Link Systems Inc.

What to do?

(and I have the 800x640 max resolution problem too; this is a 1024x768
screen.  Jay Stapleton's suggestion of "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
xserver-xorg" didn't help)

--Bob.