Big Box Linux (Paul Baranowski)

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 22:16:06 UTC 2008

I've only caught the part of this thread that's below. I don't know how
this discussion started but looks like some very misleading information
based on hearsay.

All operating systems have hardware compatibility issues. More for some
less for others. Windows has a wide range of device support but I've also
seen it fail to recognise a network card, especially during OS upgrades.
That's why vendors have a HCL.

Ubuntu has excellent hardware support, less than Windows, but how much
less I can't say. I've installed Ubuntu on Dell laptops without issue. On
IBM
ThinkPads (not the new Lenovo ones) without issue.

However, I have an Acer Aspire AMD 64-bit machine that I've been struggling
to get wireless networking to function using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu.
Windows XP works perfectly on this machine.

Lastly... I'm still wondering about the point of that statement about
betting
your job on "random computer parts." I suspect that anyone who has used
Linux long enough and is willing to propose Linux for a corporate job has
way more sense than that paragraph implies.