Big Box Linux

Rouben rouben at rouben.net
Wed Apr 9 07:45:00 UTC 2008

Speaking from a business perspective, OS marketing (as in, "Linux
works, honest!") is not at all your biggest hurdle. I think you should
be targeting educational institutions and focusing more on the thin
client/media box market. I have to admit, I am a tad biased, since I
work at U of T. :) Here are some ideas that I hope you will find
useful...

Some selling points/ideas...
* Must be able to deal in bulk (especially with universities)
* Must be cheaper in bulk than major competitors (the way it works is
that most educational institutions have preferred vendors and they
have to justify purchases from non-preferred vendors... if you're
substantially cheaper, you win).
* Support, support, support. Be prepared to have very quick turnaround
time on spare parts, service, etc. If you can set up a mail order
system where you ship the replacement part and then the client ships
you the defective part and absorb the cost of shipping (courier
preferred) then you have a chance to compete with guys like Dell in
the education market.
* Be flexible: be willing to help clients transition (or sometimes
not) from Windows. Be prepared to ship computers with Windows (and/or
Ubuntu) dual-booting.
* Offer "virtual" desktops, where Ubuntu runs on the bare metal with
VMWare/VirtualBox serving up Windows XP. The run something like
BackupPC in coordination with VMWare Snapshots to offer a
comprehensive backup strategy with point-in-time restore ability. Sell
that with a NAS rig as a nice low-cost disaster recovery package.
* Think about "small business in a box" type turnkey solutions. Offer
up packages that include some initial consulting to get small
businesses started... maybe get a hosting reseller package, and offer
webhosting as well (managed IT services outsourcing).
* Media servers and Mythbuntu appliances! Maybe team up with Koolu
(www.koolu.com) to offer custom built media servers? That might be a
good chance to sell a NAS appliance and/or a home networking package
as well.

Perhaps Ubuntu should have a team/mailing list for open source
business ideas/discussions such as this?

--
Rouben