Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:11:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Kevin and Nicole McCormick <
knmccormick at shaw.ca> wrote:

>   Good day,
>

> I am not very computer savvy so forgive me for any ignorant questions.
>

> I downloaded the Ubuntu 7.10 OS and burned to a CD. I recently received an
> old IBM Net Vista with a blank hard drive. The computer has a Pentium 4
> processor.
>

> I am attempting to load the Ubuntu onto the blank drive with the CD. When
> I turn the computer on I get a message of "no operating system found. Press
> F1 for reboot sequence" (maybe not word for word).
>

> The CD is running but I do not know how to start the load sequence.
>

> Can you help?
>

> Kevin

Everything said so far is right, except possibly Dylan's guess for the
function keys.  I want to say F12 and F1, although I could be wrong too.
Since it's suggesting F1, try that first.  If you don't get it on your own,
I have a NetVista myself that I could check on (the M42).

btw, as of last check, there was a bug that would cause the system clock not
to work correctly under stock Linux.  The workaround I found was to use
noapic as a kernel boot parameter, iirc.  Again, I could look that up later.

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/