laptop battery and... ubuntu?

helane helane at o2.pl
Wed Oct 31 05:44:57 UTC 2007

i have laptop compaq presario v3000. just a couple of weeks ago i
switched to new ubuntu, and then last week my battery started showing as
"old/broken". it would charge but would not give me only about an hour
on it. i used the laptop extensively in the last year so thought it was
an old battery. i bought a new certified one - 12 cell, hoping it would
give me even more time than the last one. i plugged it in, it came 50%
charged showing 50 minutes. it charges fast... it went to 77% in 20
minutes but now shows again 55 minutes on 77%. the percentage seem to go
up the time does not as fast... now it went to 80% still showing 55 min.
on the old battery i used to get 2.5 hrs on the new one i was supposed
to ~5 hrs. not sure if something else is broken, or the linux shows
wrong time... any ideas? i really appreciate it. spend a lot of money on
a new battery... no happy about it.

thanks
helane.