This is specific for the Fredericton group... but all opinions welcome

Brent brent-hughes at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 27 05:30:54 UTC 2007

Joel Goguen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 18:55 -0400, Andrew Mathenge wrote:
>
>> Are you thinking of building a custom machine as an alternative to
>> Vista for your customers? If so, you'd need to do more than just an
>> operating system build. Most users don't really care about the
>> operating system, it's the applications and installing them in Windows
>> is fairly easy, while finding them and installing them and using them
>> in Linux can sometimes be a challenge. Just check out the Ubuntu
>> support forums.
>>
> The alternate CD install provides an OEM option which I've used before.
> It works rather well for getting common applications installed and
> setting things up that typically require a command line.  The Ubuntu
> forums would be a great place to start looking to see what applications
> we should have pre-installed.

Try Freespire 2.0, just released. Most common apps pre load with install
so email, wp, spreadsheet and presentation are all there. Pl;us plays
all multimedia right out of the box, so to speak, and you can use the
Click N Run o n line software repository to load and unload other apps.
Have put it on a PIII 450 and an older Dell PIV without any problems or
issues.  Picked up all cards with the exception of my DLink wireless but
I've never had any version pick up this card. Very nice improvement from
earlier versions, worth  a look.

Brent