This is specific for the Fredericton group... but all opinions welcome

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 22:55:33 UTC 2007

Are you thinking of building a custom machine as an alternative to Vista for
your customers? If so, you'd need to do more than just an operating system
build. Most users don't really care about the operating system, it's the
applications and installing them in Windows is fairly easy, while finding
them and installing them and using them in Linux can sometimes be a
challenge. Just check out the Ubuntu support forums.

But to answer your question, I think it's always a good thing to promote
Linux. I do. I don't sell computers for a living like you do, but when
computers in our company reach their end-of-life we normally raffle them out
to staff. I normally replace Windows with a lighter version of Fedora or
Ubuntu and give the prospective user a walk through. I also provide a bit of
documentation so that they don't get stuck when they take the PC home. So
far, most people are happy with the fact that they can surf the Internet,
open all their documents, do some graphics and even have a little fun.

It's getting easier and easier now to find and install programs in Ubuntu so
I'd be fairly confident offering it thought I see where it would be a tough
sell for kids who really want to play games and chat with their friends.

Good luck in your ventures!

Andrew.