How can I connect Linux with Teenagers?

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 09:58:57 UTC 2007

I agree that demonstrating the desktop is probably where you're going to get
any interest at all. Compiz/Beryl/XGL is definitely something that makes the
desktop interesting to use. Under Synaptic, there are a lot of games, plus
other software items. One of the myths around Linux was that it was
difficult to use and geared towards techies so showing off the desktop and
some of the cool applications that come with Ubuntu in Synaptic should at
least turn some heads.

Then there's the issue of surfing the web. Unfortunately, there are some web
sites (e.g. MSN gaming zone) that will only play under Internet Explorer.
But then again, there are sites like Yahoo!'s game zone that's fair to
Firefox and Opera. Chatting online with friends can be achieved through
Gaim/Pidgin or going to safe multiplayer sites.

One good thing with Open Source is that most applications for Linux also
have Windows versions. Some of my favourite ones do. So for my die hard
Windows friends, at least I can get them playing with Open Source
applications on their Windows PCs to start with. At least it's a step in the
right direction.

Andrew Mathenge