How can I connect Linux with Teenagers?

Sanjay Sodhi sanjay.sodhi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 04:58:03 UTC 2007

Hi there.
I've recently started gathering some of the kids in my school one day a week
after school, to get them interested in Linux. I've got a few people who are
genuinely interested in coming down regularly, but I've started to run into
the problem of attracting new people.

I mean, there are people who will consider it, and there are people who
won't. Both crowds tend to get scared off quite quickly, and that's a huge
obstacle to recruitment. I've been trying to think of ways to dispel the
usual myths and to get people coming down.

I think a lot of it is wow-factor, but people don't give me the time to wow
them!

Currently, my list of things to do is largely limited to talking to the
Computer Science classes and showing off Beryl/Compiz/Fusion/XGL/whatever
the hell it is now/ (I'd much rather have a professional with solid
experience come in...if anyone is interested, I'd be exceedingly glad to
have you)

Once I've got Linux installed on PCs (I'm talking to the Administration
about it at the moment), I think people will be more open to the idea,
especially if they can log on and give it a go whenever.

Any ideas?
--
Sanjay Sodhi
I make websites me.