Gutsy ISO

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 22:56:22 UTC 2007

On 10/19/07, Craig Box <craig at dubculture.co.nz> wrote:

> On top of that, you can't upgrade a machine using the "desktop"/Live CD.
> The alternative CD contains packages, the live CD contains a compressed
> image.
>
> See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades.

Being able to upgrade an Ubuntu install from the alt CD is a huge,
huge timesaver - it's often far faster to torrent the alt ISO, burn
that, then use it for the majority of your dist-upgrade than to rely
on the (grossly overloaded) repositories for the entire dist-upgrade.

Torrenting the Gutsy Alt CD yesterday took me about 4 hours, burning
it and dist-upgrading with it took about another hour. Last time I
tried to do a dist-upgrade purely from repos, it took more than 8hrs
due to incredibly slow download speeds.

Then I left my machine running overnight with both the Desktop & Alt
torrents seeding - always nice to pass the favour on.

Brian