Patents/etc...

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Oct 17 21:29:05 UTC 2007

Richard Seguin wrote:
> We are not immune... If you infringe on a patent,  you will still be
> charged.

   This isn't isn't as clear as you are suggesting.  Not all US patents
are automatically valid in Canada, and vice versa.  We have different
patent law, different patent precedent, and very different courts that
rule on patent law.

   When it comes to Microsoft's threats about software patents, they are
largely without merit.  It is largely another SCO-like case where they
are claiming that someone somewhere is infringing some mythical
copyright or patent, and yet not disclosing what patent or copyright is
infringed by what specific software.   All legitimate infringement cases
start by a disclosure of the patent or copyright involved.

   We also have to remember that somewhere approximating 60-95% of
software patents currently granted by the United States patent office
would not stand up to adequate tests of utility, novelty and
unobviousness in a court.  While this is an expensive process to toss
out an invalid patent, it is what is required in the case of FLOSS where
we have two options when a royalty-free patent license is not offered by
a patent holder: innovate around the patent, or invalidate the patent.

More on this topic under the information/mental process patents section
of our BLOG:  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/taxonomy/term/360

   Patents are different than copyright.  While private citizens are
held liable for copyright infringement, the case for patents are quite
different.  I can dive into details if requested, but software patent
infringement cases would have a hard time being launched against private
citizens rather than commercial entities.

> helane wrote:
>> btw, how the patent infringement that ms is talking about in us will
>> affect canada? anybody knows?
>>
>> helane.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"