re. software ownership

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Oct 17 19:45:33 UTC 2007

Bob Chandler wrote:
> A previous poster mentioned that this issue is "loaded".  Yup...it
> definitely is! ;)

   Closer to home, I'm the policy coordinator for CLUE: an Association
for Open Source.   We have been and will be active in Canadian copyright
revision, and have policy statements http://cluecan.ca/policy

   I will be presenting this in a meeting tomorrow morning with the
Chair of the Parliamentary Industry Committee.  I'll be posting about
this on my BLOG after the meeting.  To get an idea of who I have spoken
with in the past, see: http://flora.ca/mp.shtml

   I should also mention some statistical/factual problems with an
organization that does invalidly talk about "Software Theft" which is
the self-called "Canadian Alliance Against Software Theft".

Correcting misinformation "statistics" from BSA/CAAST whenever we see it.
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/3956

Shortform: Their "study" does not adequately differentiate between
software copyright infringement and people using legal copies of FLOSS
software such as Ubuntu Linux.    The studies from legacy software
manufacturers, recording industry and motion picture studios are
similarly flawed by including their legal competition as if it were a
form of infringement.

More related articles:
CAAST/BSA/etc
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/taxonomy/term/369

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"