Camera/Picture sorting Software

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:35:44 UTC 2007

On 11/21/07, Ubuntu Lebanon <ubuntu.lebanon at gmail.com> wrote:
> sometimes i take 1 week
> old pics and don't have time to put them on the pc so i leave them on
> the cam, and after a week, when i want to import them i want the
> software to know that specific pictures were taken a week ago!

Digital cameras use something called "exif" data - it's coded right
into the image files, and contains (among other things) the date the
photo was taken, the camera model, and lots of technical info about
the picture.

Any decent photo manager should be able to show you exif data if it
exists - both of the 'standard' ones on Ubuntu can. I use GThumb, but
F-Spot has some nice features too.

Even Flickr can show exif data - look on the righthand-side of any
Flickr photo page, it'll have date the pic was uploaded, date taken,
camera model, and a link to 'other details' that can show all/most of
the other exif data.

For example, one of my photos, taken during this year's trip to South Africa:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirelizard/1481113025/in/set-72157602089365716/
Look on the right for "Other Information" - almost all the data there
is automatically added by Flickr from the exif data in the photo I
uploaded. (The exception is the geographic info; that's added manually
via Flickr's Map function.)

Hope this helps,
Brian
wirelizard.ca