HP Printer With US Robotics Router

gf gf at interlinks.net
Sun Nov 4 14:19:43 UTC 2007

Hi Andrew, Bob and Kim,
Fabulous Toronto launch party yesterday! Great to put faces to names.

Anyway, Andrew, you asked me to send details of my router problem to the
list to see if anyone had a solution. I put it in the forums and in
launchpad (bug number 150012) but didn't get a response. Since I submitted
that bug, I have installed Gutsy so the details are a bit different. The
latest info is below.
Thanks
:)
Glady

Subj: HP Printer With US Robotics Router

Hi,
I have an usb HP printer (photosmart 7960) connected to my router (US
Robotics 5461 that does not support LPD).

My computer is an old IBM 300 PL(384 MB memory and a 40GB HD) dual booted
with Xubuntu Gutsy 7.10 and Win98.

When I connected my printer directly to my computer, it was instantly
detected and the test page printed just fine.

Back to the network setup, plugging the wire from printer into back of US
Robotics router, I installed the printer using cups
(http://localhost:631/)

I used the following info to install the printer:
IPP/HTTP internet protocol

http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer (this is the address the
router config page gives for my printer)

select manufacturer (HP) and model (photosmart 7960)

I printed a test page and got this message in the printers tab:

HP7960_Netwk "/usr/lib/cups/backend/http failed"
Location: Office
Printer Driver: HP PhotoSmart 7960 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: http://192.168.2.1:1631/printers/My_Printer

Here is a cut-and-paste from the Cups error log (with relevant lines I hope):

E [04/Nov/2007:13:28:54 +0000] [cups-driverd] Unable to open PPD directory
"/opt/share/ppd": No such file or directory
E [04/Nov/2007:13:29:40 +0000] [cups-driverd] Unable to open PPD directory
"/opt/share/ppd": No such file or directory
E [04/Nov/2007:13:31:02 +0000] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized  E
[04/Nov/2007:13:31:20 +0000] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized  E
[04/Nov/2007:13:32:47 +0000] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized  E
[04/Nov/2007:13:33:36 +0000] [Job 5] Print file was not accepted
(server-error-device-error)!
E [04/Nov/2007:13:33:36 +0000] PID 6049 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/http)
stopped with status 1!
E [04/Nov/2007:13:37:48 +0000] Purge-Jobs: Unauthorized

The printer seems to have been added to the printer tab no problem so I am
not sure on the "CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized" messages.

Re the missing directory: In Thunar file manager, I see that the /opt
directory is empty. Should I create the directory /share/ppd? (one
directory called share and another within it called ppd). If so, can you
tell me the command in terminal to do that? I can change directories to
get there. What's the command to create a directory? Is it "mkdir" like in
DOS?

Is this saying it's my router that is not accepting the jobs?

There is another option when adding a printer in cups: using
HPPrinter(hplip) (rather than "IPP/HTTP internet protocol"). Would that
help?

Also, when I was struggling with this in Dapper, I also tried downloading
the latest hplip setup and running it with: sh hplip-2.7.7.run
Then I typed: sudo hp-setup
It was unable to detect my printer (with Dapper)
Now that I am in Gibbon, should I try "sudo hp-setup"?

Or, am I focussing on the wrong thing? I am able to print just fine from
my Win98 side on this computer so the router is recognizing MAC address
for this hardware. The MAC address stays the same in Ubuntu right? How do
I check what MAC address my Ubuntu has?

Thanks, in advance for any help on this.

Message: 1