VOOLUME CONTROL PROBLEM

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Thu May 31 13:04:23 UTC 2007

Richard,
Here's something I found that might be applicable. (My Dell 8250 is
getting on in years, like its master!).  Would you advise giving the
recommendation below a try?

no sound
<http://www.ubuntux.org/still-no-sound-in-ubuntu-edgy-eft-6-10#comment-650>
Submitted by opensourcepcs on Sat, 2007-04-07 05:01.

I did a bit of searching on the Internet and your sound card appears to
be made prior to 2002.  If you have an older sound card, the kernel
modules may be considered obsolete for the current build (2.6).  You can
still load the kernel module and use it in the current build but you
will need to discover what kernel module your sound card needs.       I
had the same problem with a Dell GX1. I used an older version of a
Knoppix Live CD (version 3.7, using kernel 2.4) to determine the correct
kernel module.  The name of the sound card and module name flashed on
the screen while booting (snd-cs4236 in my case).  Now, knowing the
correct module, I loaded it in Ubuntu (temporarily) with the command
"sudo modprobe snd-cs4236" (this only works till you reboot) to make
sure it worked OK.   After I knew it worked, I added the module to
/etc/modules which loads the module every time the machine boots.     I
would first suggest you try a good live CD (like Knoppix 3.7) to
determine the appropriate sound module.  If that does not work you may
have success  with kernel 2.2.  the module may be on you system already
(my module was in "/lib/modules/2.6.10/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x), if not
you should be able to download it.

--
I'm using ubuntu version 7.04 ...
ubuntu - linux for human beings <http://www.ubuntu.com>