Problem with Thunderbird

David Harrison dharrison at xplornet.com
Wed May 16 18:21:16 UTC 2007

I think I solved the problem just before receiving Fabian's suggestion:

Synaptic Package manager: search for TNEF

Then install: libytnef0-dev

Description below:

improved decoder for application/ms-tnef attachments
Yerase's TNEF Stream Reader allows you to decode application/ms-tnef
e-mail attachments, which are usually entitled "winmail.dat" and are
generally a file container format that is only readable by Microsoft
Outlook. Some TNEF streams also include RTF-formatted data.

libytnef0 is the support library that exposes these functions to other
programs. The ytnef program (and eponymous package) is the frontend for
this library, so you should probably install that if you want to take
advantage of it.

I just sent myself a Word document from a WinXP machine and was able to
open it: hopefully I have solved my problem. In any case, thnaks to
Fabian for his suggestions.

Dave Harrison