Wasy Ubuntu Problems

Fabian Rodriguez magicfab at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 21 19:21:30 UTC 2007

Brent wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> [...]Is there a problem with  Easy Ubuntu that I'm missing? Has it
> been suspended and is no longer available? I know there are legal
> issues in the US with respect to non-free codecs but does that apply
> here? There seems to be additional information at freecontrib.org but
> it's all in French but that is not my second language (I know, how
> un-Canadian is that?)
There are a lot of reported problems with third party scripts adding
unsupported third-party repositories. Particularly at upgrade time (from
one distribution to another), it carries problems.

I would suggest trying Ubuntu Feisty which is pretty stable even in Beta
now, it should be out by next month and it includes automatic detection
of codecs needed, with nice dialogs explaining legal, technical and
support issues before proeceeding to an easy install.

If you can't wait, perhaps manually installing is still in order and you
will learn a lot in the process, although I get you are not shopping for
a learning experience in codecs and their legal aspects in the short
term .. ;) See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Cheers,

Fabian