Tablet PC and Summer of Code

Charlotte Curtis curtisc at uoguelph.ca
Mon Mar 19 16:47:13 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in submitting a proposal for Ubuntu through Google's summer
of code.  Basically, I'd like to make Ubuntu better for Tablet PC use, and I
thought I'd see if anyone has any comments on the idea.  There aren't very
many tablet users out there, but we're pretty much limited to using Windows,
as there isn't really a decent handwriting recognition/input program, or
Onenote equivalent in Linux.  I know about PenReader, but it isn't open
source (and if the web demo is anything to go by, it doesn't actually seem
to work).  There are a few journal type programs (xournal, gournal, jarnal),
but they could be improved as well.  Basically, I'd like to know what you
guys think - is it a project that would interest many people?  What aspect
needs the most improvement to make Ubuntu more tablet-friendly?  Thanks,

Charlotte