Failure of update to Edgy Eft from Dapper Drake.

Tony pensioned at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 20 11:00:42 UTC 2007

Hi,
I am a brand new user of Linux programs.  I installed Ubuntu 6.0.6 and
liked it enough to pay for the complete set of 6.10 Edgy Eft. (six
DVDs). I tried installing as an update from the dvds, and when it was
finished it started to boot, and then stuck at the boot screen with the
Ubuntu logo on it.  Can the new distribution be installed completely by
booting from the #1 dvd, instead of as an update.  When I installed as
an update, I had to wait quite a while for the files to download.
It was my understanding that the 6 dvds contained the complete program
and all the files would be on the dvds.
Please correct me if I am wrong, and advise me as to what the problem
could be.  thanks
Tony