Reference

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 01:15:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-13-03 at 23:32 -0700, Don and/or Mila Trombley wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good, beginner's Linux  Ubuntu/Xubuntu
> reference/tutorial book ( around $20 ) which will help one to get his
> feet firmly established?

I don't know about the price, but I would recommend Sobell's Practical
Guides - http://www.sobell.com/

When I first sat down at a UNIX box 17 years ago, I had a copy of his
Practical Guide to UNIX on my knees. Three days with that, cover to
cover, going through every example, and I had the context required to
get firmly established.

Sobell is good, clear writer, and, instead of unrelated snippets in the
Hacks books, he writes what is as close to narrative as you can get in a
tech book, and that's good for context, the what, they why, the how.

After that, it was man pages all the way....

pww