Firefox & Thunderbird

R. Wood au516 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Jan 30 01:17:26 UTC 2007

Allegedly, on Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 06:15:30PM -0600, Darren Zawislak stated:
[snip]
> As a new Linux user, the number of programs available seems daunting
> because I have never heard of them.

Definitely a part of the learning curve - finding the linux equivalents
of different pieces of software.  There are web sites around that try to
help with this, but scroogle.org knows better than I.

> I just found out on the weekend that I change the .deb files to .rpm
> or visa versa to install AVG anti virus on the Linux side.

My policy is to *always* use .deb packages instead of .tgz or .rpm
files.  In fact if I do an
  apt-cache search KeywordForSomeInterestingSoftwarePackage
and it doesn't turn up, then I immediately become suspicious - it is
probably not available in Ubuntu (or Debian) for a good reason :-)

Although one can use 'alien' to transform .rpm files to a .deb package,
I usually do that only as a last resort.  Instead, if I can't find a
.deb package on either official or unofficial mirrors, then I will try
to get the source/.tgz file and install from that, preferably using the
'checkinstall' utility to create a .deb package file from the source
code.

In this case, I would check out 'clamav' (and keep in mind you don't
really need a virus scanner with linux, unless you happen to be
propogating files to windows users).  I've certain never installed AV
software on my linux boxen.

> As for mail I was going to explore Evolution as that is what Ubuntu is
> bundled with. I was surprised that other Mozilla software was not
> included considering Firefox is there.

Are you referring to Thunderbird?  It can be installed with apt-get or
synaptic, can it not?

> The final bit of investigation is around a website development
> program. I am used to Dreamweaver MX (V6.0) and have no idea what is
> equivalent in Linux.

'Nvu' is something similar.

HTH,
Have Fun with GNU/Linux,
Raymond
- --
"Be Nice, or Leave - By Order of the Management"
(Sign above door, Black Sheep Inn, Wakefield)
GPG Fingerprint: 2E4D 8605 DD48 E80F F893  1C02 B65D 86D9 3B3C 0E03
Encrypted E-mail Preferred  |  http://www.yeeguy.com/freefall/
Bush-whacked 2004! Try to relax and enjoy the Chaos :-)  --^