linux xubuntu 6.1 computer

Peter Whittaker pwwnow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 14:01:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 08:25 -0500, Jean-François Gagnon Laporte wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Don and/or Mila Trombley <donmila at shaw.ca> wrote:
> >  BTW: I wonder if one could exchange the Pentium 2 processor for a P 3,
> > without any modification to the motherboard? :-\
> >
> they are not pin compatible more so if you try to put p3 in a p2 slot.

It will also depend on the specific hardware. For example, some P2
ThinkPads use CPU daughter boards, so the processor can be upgraded;
refer to http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CPU_upgrade

That said, JF is right: Prices are so low these days. I bought a used P4
1.8GHz NetVista for about $320 at The Trailing Edge a local (Ottawa)
shop that specializes in refurbished, end of lease, and other older but
still plenty powerful hardware.

pww