One Final Question On Partitions - Sorry!

Jean-François Gagnon Laporte kioshen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:04:28 UTC 2007

On 1/24/07, Dave Sullivan <dave at dave-sullivan.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I have one question about your layout, though: what is the NTFS data partition
> for? Do you plan on using that to share data between Linux and Windows? If
> so, it's typically recommended to use FAT32, as its fully supported by Linux.
>
> Hope this helps!

Actually I have been using a better solution to sharing data between
windows and linux. There is a driver for accessing ext3 partitions in
windows at http://www.fs-driver.org/.

It's pretty simple to use and ext3 is way less wasteful in sectors
than FAT32 for comparable size use. It has also way better performance
in linux land and it's acceptable in Windows (I don't boot very often
in Windows mind you). I haven't loss in any data to this driver yet
but YMMV.

However, if you don't want to trust your data to this driver, FAT32 is
the lowest common denominator for both OS until ntfs-3g is mature
enough.

Regards,

JF