One Final Question On Partitions - Sorry!

Dave Sullivan dave at dave-sullivan.com
Wed Jan 24 14:14:12 UTC 2007

You're right, you  can only have one extended -- but you can create multiple
partitions in the extended partition.

So based on your layout, you would have (in Linux terms):
/dev/hda1 - partition 1 (primary) - Linux swap 2GB
/dev/hda2 - partition 2  (primary) - Windows XP 40GB
/dev/hda3 - partition 3 (primary) - NTFS data 160GB
/dev/hda4 - partition 4 (extended) - 198GB
	/dev/hda5 - partition 5 (primary) - Linux root 40GB
	/dev/hda6 - partition 6 (primary) - /home 158GB

I hope my tabbing there is viewable on your end. Basically, you create an
extended partition, in which you can  create more primary partitions inside.
I have one question about your layout, though: what is the NTFS data partition
for? Do you plan on using that to share data between Linux and Windows? If
so, it's typically recommended to use FAT32, as its fully supported by Linux.

Hope this helps!

--
Dave Sullivan
dave at dave-sullivan.com