TWO DIFFICULTIES

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Wed Jan 24 00:55:09 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm still having problems getting a reliable connection to my two
box/Linksys router Windows network.  I appear to connect now and again
by frequently clicking on the Reload button.  So when I get to the
Windows network icon, double click on it, I now and again get an icon
for MSHOME.  If I double click on it, I may get one computer but not the
other or neither, but seldom both at once.  I have to think this is a
bit of a showstopper, especially as my prime printer is connected to my
XP box, not the Ubuntu box, which is the host.

I have tried disabling ipv6, which reportedly can cause problems.  This
gave no improvement.  I've rebooted the wired modem and the router,
which got me to the present state. (Before I had absolutely no
connection.)  I have re-installed Samba.  Nothing seems to get me the
reliable LAN connection that I so desperately need.

Any help on this issue would be most gratefully accepted!

My second problem relates to the mounting of my removable storage, a
160Gb hard drive that plugs in to my HP box.  This drive is not
recognized from a cold boot.  But mounts every time with a second
reboot.  Strange, eh?

Maybe I should give the whole rig a swift kick!  I would hate to be
driven back to Windows because of these two difficulties because I
really like Ubuntu.

Perhaps I should put in bug reports, although I'm not quite sure how?

Maurice from Nepean