Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

Andrew Hunter andy.hunter at rogers.com
Mon Jan 22 05:17:36 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 11:28, Maurice Murphy wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for your well reasoned critique.  For me, however, I believe we
> should leave KDE to others.

As a happy Kubuntu user, I disagree.

> Xandros and others do a good job with
> this.  Why add to the confusion when the Gnome is a cleaner, more
> effective layout?

That is _entirely_ subjective.

> As an ex-XP MCE user, I had no difficulty with the
> transition to Ubuntu.  It was a pleasure.

Great.

> Why not stick with Ubuntu and
> make it even better than it is?  IMHO this would be a more efficient use
> of resources.

I think you miss the point. Kubuntu was started as a community derivitive to
use KDE and Ubuntu repositories. In no way does Kubuntu "steal" resources
from Ubuntu, therefore all this would do is dis-enfranchise a portion of
Ubuntu users (yes, even though I use Kubuntu I consider myself an Ubuntu
user). IMHO, a move like this would be against the principles of FOSS.

Note that there is nothing Canonical can do to stop someone from creating a
derivitive distribution, they can only control the Ubuntu trademark. In
contrary to this, Canonical actively encourages people to use the software
they provide in any manner they see fit, that is freedom.